Monday, January 9, 2012

Things

My last semester of college has arrived. Now I have to think about the future, like what environmental organization I can convince to hire me or how long I can go without a haircut before my mom notices. But before I allow those heavy issues take root in my brain, I chose to ignore the impending doom of what lies ahead by remembering what’s happened and realizing what’s happening.

The Past
  • Things I used to believe:
  • When a car would approach ours, my sister and I would yell, “It’s going to kiss us!” Later, I learned that when two cars “kiss”, it’s actually called an accident
  • If Whitney Houston hadn’t written “I Will Always Love You”, I would have.
  • My earwax looked like Disney characters, especially from the movie Aladdin.
  • Dude looks just like my earwax!
  • I had an abnormally large big toe. I cried about it.
  • I would look cooler if only I could get off this dumb turtleneck from underneath my jean vest.
  • If I focused hard enough, I’d be able to move the chalk with my eyes in my 7th grade social studies class just like Matilda did.
  • I was really cool because I could spell “silhouette” when I was in second grade. Actually, I still believe that.
  • My first word ever, “Buglebee”, was a real word.
The Present
The people we’re around tend to influence us. Fortunately for me, my roommates turned out to be more awesome and inspiring people than I ever could have hoped to meet in college. Unfortunately, their quirks also rub off.  
Group minus Kayla, but you already saw what she looked like.
Kayla
Fortunately: Use what you love to do as a way to bless others. This is me saying thank you for doing my laundry and cleaning our entire apartment before breaks.
Unfortunately: She’s apprenticed me in how to increase my number of chins from one to seven and making attractive faces in general.
Sometimes I tell people this is photoshopped to make her feel better.
Anna
Fortunately: Anna embodies the saying, “A stranger is a friend you haven’t met yet.” She strikes up conversations with the lady selling herbs at Meijer and the guy sitting by himself in Baldwin, and they respond to her because she is genuinely loving and interested in them.  Tip: Most of her conversations work in a corny joke and hummus in some way.
Unfortunately: Talking in a high pitched voice when excited or flustered. This really enhances my credibility when I’m attempting to clarify a presentation point to a professor.
Amanda
Fortunately: You are never too busy. Amanda runs track and cross country, takes a full course load each semester, has a job at the TV Station, and started an abstinence group for high school girls. She also makes time for her manly boyfriend. She shows that having things to do doesn’t equate to selfishness. She makes time for God, every person, and every task.
Unfortunately:  Using the word “precious” as the default response in conversation, such as “I’m going to class.” Precious.
What a hunk. Of time he takes out of her schedule.
Beka
Fortunately: Make long-term friendships with people who are nothing like you. Beka is friends with a 60-year-old couple who take her on motorcycle rides and a 70-year-old woman who feeds her grilled cheese.  
Unfortunately: She ponders thoughtfully before responding to a question or giving excellent advice, but in an effort to emulate this, my wisdom comes off as contrived.  
                Ex| I’m so stressed out about my exams.
                [Pause]
    Maybe you should stop doing that.
Brooke
Fortunately: Talk. Brooke is probably the most reserved of the group, but during our roommate Bible studies, she was extremely open. Seeing someone else bare their soul, especially when I could tell it was more uncomfortable for her than it would be for some of the others, encouraged us to do the same.
Unfortunately: Brooke hasn’t made any adverse marks on my personality because she leaves every weekend to see her fiancĂ© before she gets the chance (sorry Brooklyn, I couldn’t resist passive aggressively saying I miss you).

No comments:

Post a Comment